Saturday, May 3, 2008

A Real Blonde

Finally I wrapped my hands around the cool rounded curves of a real Blonde Ale. In particular "Fireman's #4 Blonde Ale" from the Real Ale Brewing company of Blanco, Texas.

Now Historicaly what we now call a Blonde ale is what the Germans and Eastern Europeans rejected in favor of Lagering which produces Pilsners and Helles. Blonde Ales going into production is really a 20th century kind of kick thanks to the craft brewing industry.

Fireman's #4 delivers the goods in a Blonde, it is a pretty golden straw color and a little bit cloudy. It has a subtle nose reminiscent of hops and fresh grains. This beer has a citrus lead in for a complex malt flavor that is just wonderful to sit and enjoy. The foam is a bit light and degrades quickly but I really can't think of much else negative to say about this brew. Overall it's pretty darn tasty. A delight to the nose and the taste buds. The boys down at Real Ale Brewing make the Texas Hill Country proud.

Cap Scores:

Type: Describing this beer is a description of a Blonde Ale. the foam could be a bit heartier but over all, Well Done! 9.5

Drinkability: A very enjoyable beer. It is a bit on the rich side so some might be turned away but I don't think many. I give it an 8.75

Value: I paid 7.60 for a 6 pack. Right on average for a craft beer in this area. I would absolutely reach for it again. I give it a 8.75

Total Score: 9 even Go out and try this one.

No comments: