Monday, August 18, 2008

Murphy's Irish Stout at Humperdinks

When asked for a bench mark to compare stout against most folks will say Guinness. In most ways and days I would make the same recommendation if nothing else because it is a well known name and readily available for sampling.

However for at least a little while I would instead direct those wishing to try a stout for the first time to pull up a bar stool at Humperdink's and try their seasonal "Murphy's Irish Stout"

This beer was a delight to look upon as the Barkeep pulled the draught. The gleam of the lights upon the dark malty liquid forming a creamy resilient head. The Delight continued as I tried my first sip. Though I was braced for the forced, over hoped bitter that many insist is just "part of a stout" I was treated instead to a well balanced complex flavor worthy of a second round (and possibly a third or fourth)

Rich, almost coffee like, tones of malt matched with a well calculated dose of hops. A harmonious blend and representation of how a stout Porter ought to be made!

No comments: