Saturday, March 29, 2008

Bridgeport Black Strap Stout

Today I am trying Bridgeport Black Strap Stout from Portland Oregon.

Stouts are in the same family of beer as Porters. In fact a "Stout Porter" is what we now call Stout. There are a great many adjuncts used in this beer such as Chocolate or coffee or in this case Black Strap Molasses. No matter what the adjunct however all agree that a Stout should produce a luxuriant creamy head with good retention, and have a full body and a rich toasty hop back flavor. Bridgeport Delivers on the type on all points but retention of the head. I found it to dissipate far quicker than Guinness or MacKeson. In fact it was maybe 2 or three minutes of foam total.

It does deliver on rich flavor. the Molasses adjunct gives a rich dark flavor that fits in well with a stout porters character.

Cap Scores are as Follows:
Type: I give it high marks except the head retention. So it's a 9

Drinkability: A beer to be slowly savored and enjoyed, Not everyone would appreciate its subtlety I give it an 8

Value: At $9.30 for a six pack It is a wonderful Dark beer for a special occasion. Defiantly not an every day beer however. I'll keep Shiner as my stock and trade in my fridge and go get this for the right meal. Cap Score is an 8 worth the money but not every day.

Total Score is an 8.33

No comments: