Friday, March 28, 2008

Going to Helles

Well I had originally Picked up Rahr Brewery's Helles Lager to review on the way to play poker and another guy there brought the Shiner 99 which is also a Helles. Damn the luck I was able to try both and have an instant comparison... woe is me .. Hic....


First up Rahr:
I had trepidations about this beer as I had previously sampled their Ugly Pug Black Lager and found it far to hopy for my taste. However the Rahr Blonde Lager is not hoped half near as heavy. It was in truth a quite pleasant Beer. It had a Crisp Character and an ever present but not over bearing hops background flavor that was in good balance with the malt. Over all a very enjoyable brew.

Now to Cap Scores.
Type: Now here is the rub the Lable calls this a "Blonde Lager" and then in smaller print calls it a Helles lager. A Blond is both a delightfully curvatious thing to behold and a Belgian Ale but it is not a Lager. Ales are brewed with diferent yeast and at Warmer temps than lagers.

They do have both names on the lable and both specify lager but I am still gonna dock them 3 points for a misleading name. so here they get a 7

Drinkability: I give it an 8 A pleasant well rounded beer

Value: 7 Average Price when you can find it in general market but most of the grocery stores don't carry it, so I have to pay more at the liquor store for it

Total Score 7.33


Now on to the Shiner 99!

This is a Limited edition for their 99th year of brewing (can't wait to see what Shiner 100 is). As a Texan I have Shiner bock and Shiner Blonde in the house on a regular basis. One day I will get to actually reviewing them but that may wait for a tasting party so I am a bit more objective about it.

The 99 is a bit on the sweet side. Actually a bit sweeter than what I would expect from a Helles. the Hops are well balanced and have the right kick though so overall I think Bavarians would simply raise their glass and take a swig and not worry about the sweetness.

Cap Scores
Type: Too sweet for a traditional Helles but overall on target I give it an 7.5

Drinkability: Sweet suits the American palate so it goes out of the cooler pretty fast, 8.5

Value: average price but you have to look given it's a one year one year run. I'll give it an 7

Total 7.66


No comments: